Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Senate healthcare bill and Rep. Stupak

I have to admit, I haven't been watching the coverage of the Senate version of the health care bill nearly as closely as I did the House coverage. I think that says a lot on its own. The coverage by pretty much every media outlet has been much more subdued and seemingly less interested in this round. 60 votes for the bill is all that's needed for passage in the Senate. The limited coverage I have seen makes it seem like passage is a 50/50 possibility. The Senate's version of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, talks confidently about getting the 60 needed, but he admits that they're currently a handful of votes short.

What I've been trying to find out is the status of any pro-life amendments that could make their way into the Senate bill. Luckily, rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich) is putting the Obama adms. feet to the fire regarding the House's passage of abortion funding restrictions. White House advisor David Axelrod said the president would intercede and remove any abortion restrictions from the House bill. Rep. Stupak then brought up a great point...the bill already passed the House!

Is Planned Parenthood a little ticked about the situation so far? Maybe...could that be getting the Obama admin. a little nervous? I sense a little bird in Mr. Axelrod's ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment